What is splitting in Blackjack ?
There are particular situations in playing blackjack when it is best to split your cards. Splitting is the option you get when you are dealt a pair of the cards with the same value. It means doubling the original bet, but it allows you to choose different strategies for each blackjack hand independently, that is why it is essential to know when the best time is to split. There are different kinds of blackjack games, and different rules apply to split. But there are some basic strategies of how to split a pair.
Which Blackjack pairs to split or not ?
- Split a pair of aces : To start with, one of the best strategies is always to split the pair of aces. Splitting gives you more ways to get a 21 in hand. While if you play with one hand, you have fewer chances to beat the dealer.
- Split a pair of 8s : Also, it is an excellent strategy always to split your pair of 8s and re-split if you get dealt with the second pair. Do remember that you triple original bet.
- Split a pair of 10s : it comes to splitting 10s, it will depend on the particular blackjack game rules, because of there different 10-value cards. But mostly it is advised not to split your pair of 10s unless you are a real specialist and know the game inside and out.
- Split a pair of 4s : There are also no benefits in splitting the pairs of 4s because you will just get 2 weak hands, no matter what additional cards you get.
When to split in Blackjack?
Always keep in mind, that it also depends on dealer’s cards whether it is time to split or not.
- Some basic knowledge for blackjack players: you can split a pair of 2s and a pair of 3s against a dealer’s 4, 5, 6, or 7. But you shall not split a pair of 9s against a dealer’s 7 or 10.
- If you dealt a pair of 6s, and the dealer has cards 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6, you should split.
- In another case, take another card. If you have a pair of 7s and the dealer’s cards include 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, also time to split, with other cards – you stick to an original pair.
Remember, that knowing the basic strategies does increase your chances of beating the dealer and winning at blackjack while decreasing a house edge.